Actor, journalist, author, comedian and radio and TV presenter Russell Brand is well known for his flamboyant and outrageous style, and his career has been far from uncontroversial.
Having achieved mainstream recognition presenting the Big Brother spin-off Big Brother’s Big Mouth, Brand became known for his Radio 2 show, from which he infamously resigned following complaints about prank phone calls to actor Andrew Sachs. Along with stand-up, Brand is known for his film and TV appearances and hosting award ceremonies. Here we celebrate some of his best lines.
- Some people…say America is not ready for a black President. But I know America to be a forward-thinking country, otherwise, why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be President?
- Bob Geldof…no wonder he’s such an expert on famine, he has been dining out on I Don’t Like Mondays for thirty years.
- Amy Winehouse – her surname’s beginning to sound like a description of her liver.
- I used to binge-eat and make myself throw up. I was a fat kid. Obviously, I didn’t quite master the bulimia.
- On Peter Crouch: Even in name, he seems like a Victorian oddity. “Igor, fetch ‘the Crouch’ from the catacombs, we’re going to the graveyard”.
- On his looks: I would define my looks as Victorian child catcher – or an S & M Willy Wonka who likes to use a riding crop on his own leg.
- To a heckler: I, sir, am heterosexual, and one day I will show you the statistics and make you weep.
- Wondering what to say when meeting the Queen: ‘Are you aware I’m shagger of the year?’ But, stressing his respect for the monarch: When I lick a stamp I do it with my eyes closed.
Brand has a string of feature films in development or post-production, including The Tempest and a remake of Arthur. A sequel to his bestselling autobiography, My Bookie Wook has also been released. You can also order DVDs and CDs of his radio show, or Scandalous, the DVD of Brand live at the O2 Arena.
Image used is from Wikimedia Commons and thus is either; in public domain or freely licensed.