Documentary comedian, humorist, filmmaker and radio show host Dave Gorman’s stage shows are not your usual comedy gigs. He tells true stories of his adventures and gives the audience evidence of their truth.
After a drunken bet with pal Danny Wallace, Gorman set out with a camera to find people who shared his name (over 100 at the last count.) A cult stage show in the UK and on Broadway led to a BBC series and a book.
His second television series, Dave Gorman’s Important Astrology Experiment, tested whether or not there was any truth in astrology. In 2003, Gorman toured Britain with a show entitled Dave Gorman’s Googlewhack Adventure. He returned to stand-up in 2009 with a show called Sit Down, Pedal, Pedal, Stop and Stand Up, doing gigs as he cycled Britain from north to south and east to west. Gorman is also known for his TV show Genius, in which he invites members of the public to talk about their wacky inventions.
Quotes by Dave Gorman
- Every time I told them a true bit, it got a bigger reaction than any of the jokes I had written!
- If a story is funny, and I made it up, then the big message is ‘Aren’t I clever?’ If a story is funny and it actually happened, the big message is, ‘Isn’t the world funny?’ And actually I think that’s a better message.
- Whatever they call me, I know I’m a very fortunate man.
- I decided I wanted to write a novel. I started by growing a beard. Somehow this helped to persuade a publisher to give me a deal for a novel.
- If you’re sitting at a computer wondering what a Googlewhack is and you find out what one is and you don’t try to find one you’re not bloody human, surely!
- So I’ve travelled from London to Birmingham, back to London, and to France and back. That’s 1064 miles. So that’s…. 532 miles per googlewhack. 532mpgw
Revisit Are You Dave Gorman? with this classic clip:
Catch this funny man on his weekly show on Absolute Radio on Sundays between 10am and noon. A new series of Genius has been filmed for BBC 2, and a stand-up show filmed at London’s Bloomsbury Theatre this summer is to be released on DVD.